05/20 REFEREE HINTS 13 TO 18
- Remind yourself that the spectators did not come to see you. Try to be as unobtrusive as possible.
- Don't wait until all the players are on the field before making your GRAND entrance. In order to blend in you could run onto the field with the players.
- Check the following:
1.NUMBER OF PLAYERS LAW 3.3.
2.LINE THAT INTERSECTS THE CENTRE OF THE HALFWAY LINE. LAW1.(60
3.KICK-OFF's ARE TAKEN ON OR BEHIND THE CENTRE OF THE HALF-WAY LINE. LAW12(2)
4.TOUCH- JUDGES OR ASSISTANT REFEREES ARE IN PLACE BEFORE THE KICK-OFF.
- As mentioned check that there are only 15 players per team on the field.
- Set up your watch before the kick-off. Ask the touch-judges or assistant referees to also keep a check on the time in case something goes wrong with your watch.
- Make sure that you know what players behind your back are doing. Have a quick glance behind you before commencing your run-up at the kick-off.
- Be careful of beginning your run-up too early at the kick-off. If you are in a hurry to get to the spot where the ball lands you may get into its path if it is kicked to the 'wrong' side of the field.
WHEN THE BALL IS KICKED TEAM-MATES MUST BE BEHIND THE BALL.
OPPOSITION PLAYERS MUST BE ON OR BEHIND THE 10 METER LINE. LAW 12 (5).
Compiled and written by Freek Burger